Trust, Wills & Probate
Have you made your Will? We should all think about writing a Will, particularly if we have children, dependants or partners. It can be a simple process, bringing peace of mind to you and to those you love.
We have helped hundreds of people take that first important step in drafting their Wills and it's much easier to do than you may imagine. As it takes just few hours of your time, there is no reason for you to put it off any longer. We can help.
Probate, the legal process to effectively deal with the distribution of someone's estate once they have passed away can seem such an overwhelming task to most people. We can help.
Our experienced solicitors offer constructive advice on every aspect of preparing your Will and can help you make an informed decision by answering any questions you may have.
Our Fees:(Please note that VAT is charged at 20% on all our fees and any disbursements which may attract VAT)
Range of costs (with fixed fee for additional work) for applying for the grant, collecting and distributing the assets.
A straightforward matter usually will take approximately between 4 and 9 hours of work at £150.00 plus VAT per hour. Total costs estimated at -£600.00 - £1350.00 (+VAT).
However, please note that the exact cost will depend on the individual circumstances of the matter. For example, if there is one beneficiary and no property, costs will be at the lower end of the range. If there are multiple beneficiaries, a property and multiple bank accounts, costs will be at the higher end or higher based on the amount of hours spent on the matter.
We will handle the full process for you. This quote is for estates where:
- There is a valid will
- There is no more than one property
- There are no more than 2 bank or building society accounts
- There are no other intangible assets
- There are 2 or less beneficiaries
- There are no disputes between beneficiaries on division of assets. If disputes arise this is likely to lead to an increase in costs
- There is no inheritance tax payable and the executors do not need to submit a full account to HMRC
- There are no claims made against the estate
Disbursements included in this fee:
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process. (Please note that these disbursements may vary based on any changes by third parties).
Potential additional costs
- If there is no will or the estate consists of any share holdings (stocks and bonds) there is likely to be additional costs that could range significantly depending on the estate and how it is to be dealt with. We can give you a more accurate quote once we have more information.
- If any additional copies of the grant are required, they will cost £10.00 (inc VAT) (1 per asset usually).
- Dealing with the sale or transfer of any property in the estate is not included. Please refer to our Conveyancing Section for further details.
How long will this take?
On average, estates that fall within this range are dealt with within 3-10 months. Typically, obtaining the grant of probate takes 2-5 weeks. Collecting assets then follows, which can take between 4-6 weeks. Once this has been done, we can distribute the assets, which normally takes 3-5 months. Please be aware that these timescales are only approximates and should matters become more complex for whatever reason, then we shall keep you informed of such delays and reasons for the same.